Kritika Dharia is a Psychologist and Outreach Associate with Mpower – The Centre. Her valuable advice on making lifestyle changes will have you leading a healthier and happier life.
Stress is a word that is used too commonly today. Everyone is busy and everyone is stressed. We all know that stress is bad for us but many of us fail to realise just how badly stress can affect our lives. Stress has been linked to conditions like hypertension, diabetes, and even mental health problems like depression. Follow these simple tips to help you de-stress and vastly improve your quality of life.
4 Ways To Have A Better Quality Of Life
‘You are what you eat.’ There is a level of truth to this statement that just can’t be ignored. Our food can affect our energy levels, our mood, and even our health. Here are some tips to eat healthier:
- Get at least three servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
- Eat Omega 3-rich foods like flaxseeds, fish, nuts and eggs.
- Eat whole grains instead of refined grains.
- Get enough protein.
- Eat dark chocolate if you have a sugar craving.
Sleep is completely underrated and needs to be taken more seriously. Consistently getting less that 6.5 hours of sleep every night can cause a number of health problems. Here’s how you can sleep better:
- Sleep for 6.5-8 hours a night.
- Switch off all electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
- Avoid coffee or tea later in the evening. Drink herbal or white tea instead.
- Have a warm shower an hour before bedtime.
- Go to ben only when you are sleepy. Activities like reading, meditating and listening to soothing music can help you get sleepy.
- Light a lavender candle or use essential oils.
- Practice gratitude by saying out loud three things that happened that day that you are grateful for.
If you are used to falling asleep watching TV, break the habit by consistently doing one of the other activities for 21 days. It will improve the quality of your sleep.
Nothing will reduce your stress better than having fun. Save time every week for activities that you enjoy. Here’s what you can do:
- Play a sport you enjoy.
- Go for long walks.
- Do fun activities like cycling or swimming with your kids and partner.
- Walk up two flights of stairs.
- Take breaks during work and walk about for ten minutes.
When you exercise you build body strength, improve your mood, and are more self-confident.
Relax for Less Stress
Learn relaxation techniques:
Set aside some time every day for meditation or breathing exercises.
Set realistic goals: Take on only as much work as you can finish in a day and give yourself time for a life. Learn to say no sometimes.
Enjoy yourself: Indulge in your hobby, this relieves stress and increases your creativity.
Practice visualisation: Like athletes visualise themselves winning, you too can visualise yourself winning at life and achieving your goals.
Socialise: Hang out with your friends at least once a week, it’s good for you.
Your healthier life is waiting, it’s time to start living it.