Hunger pangs can catch you unaware in the midst of your work schedule. What do you do? Well, you can scroll through your phone and order a snack via a food delivery app. Problem solved.
Well, not really! You have reasons to doubt the nutritive value of the food you ordered. After all, snacking on unhealthy foodstuff will put a dent in your fitness goals. Then there’s also the time gap between hunger pangs becoming unbearable and the delivery of your food. Wouldn’t you want a healthier, more accessible option? One that is within an arms reach.
A simple solution to the above problem is to keep handy healthy snackables that don’t make you feel guilty about weight gain. You can keep these at your desk or store them in your drawer. We give you some delicious, nutritious alternatives that can satisfy your mid-day cravings.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal is not only delicious, easy to make (just pour hot water and you are good to go), but also packed with a lot of nutrients. Oatmeal contains dietary fibres that take longer to digest, making you feel full for a long time. This keeps you from frequent snacking. Mix a bit of honey and dry fruits to enhance its nutritive value.
- Dry fruits: Having a tough day and in need of some instant energy? No, we are not talking about energy bars. Dry fruits are here to charge you with natural sources of glucose. Raisins, cherries, apricots, blueberries, peaches, dates- you take your pick. These are one of the healthiest alternatives to sugar-fuelled drinks and fast food. And of course, they taste great too.
- Nuts: Dry nuts are full of healthy fats, fibre and proteins. Salted or roasted peanuts, pistachios, almonds, cashews are some of the nuts you can munch on, anytime. Create a mix of dry fruits and nuts and you have a serving of nutritious snacks with amazing flavours. Also, dry fruits and nuts do not spoil easily, keeping them edible for a long time.
- Popcorn: Don’t be surprised if we told you popcorn is a wonderful snack to beat hunger. What you don’t know is that it is extremely healthy. Popcorn is an entirely unprocessed, whole grain snack with very few calories. Also, reports suggest that popcorns are full of polyphenols: antioxidants that help fight inflammation. You definitely didn’t know that, did you?
- Dark Chocolate: Another anti-oxidant loaded food that also cures hunger pangs. Besides being full of healthy nutrients, it has a pleasant bitter-sweet taste.
- Roasted Chickpeas: A notable mention in the list is roasted chickpeas. Salty, spicy and crunchy, it is the perfect snack. Roasted chickpeas are high on protein, carbohydrate, fibre and minerals, making them an ideal, healthy option for mid-day munching.
So, stock these amazing snacks and gladly answer your hunger calls.