Immunity is the ability of our body to fight diseases. The immune system, made up of cells of the body, creates antibodies that fight off bacteria, fungi and viruses that harm your body. In the present scenario, it has become necessary to build your immunity, which can improve with the help of simple healthy changes in your lifestyle.
Follow These Three Steps To Have A Strong Immune System:
- Add more whole plant foods in your diet, like vegetables, fruits, legumes and nuts. Antioxidants in these foods help you battle infections and improve the health of your cardiovascular system.
- Eat healthy fats found in foods like olive oil and fatty fishes to increase your body’s response against pathogens.
- Increase the intake of fermented foods which have probiotics like yoghurt and curd. These good bacteria can help your immune system identify healthy and unhealthy cells better.
- Avoid added sugars to prevent weight gain thereby lowering your chance of getting chronic diseases.
- Being active while following a moderate exercise routine of 30-45 minutes every day can improve your immunity.
- Do more house chores, make sure to walk after meals and stand up at regular intervals, preferably every hour.
Develop Healthy Habits
- Get enough sleep to build immunity. During sleep, the immune system releases cytokines, which are proteins that battle infections and diseases. Therefore, adults should sleep for a minimum of 7-8 hours to have a good immune system.
- Drink more water as dehydration can affect your overall body functions by increasing your chances of getting ill.
- Take measures to reduce stress. Long term stress can reduce the effect of immune system cells. Taking up hobbies, spending time with family, meditation etc. can help you reduce stress.
You may also want to consider taking vitamin and mineral supplements to fulfil your daily nutrition needs. In this case, you should consider taking advice from a nutritionist or your doctor. To ensure quality, you may purchase supplements that have been tested by United States Pharmacopeia (USP), ConsumerLab, and NSF International.
Make these simple changes in your lifestyle and get more such tips from our lifestyle and nutrition blog that help you improve and strengthen your immune system!