Workouts at home have become popular during the lockdown. However, if you do the same workout every day it might not help every part of your body. Plus, you will eventually get bored of it. Read on to find out how a resistance band can improve every aspect of your workout.
What you should know:
Benefits of using a resistance band
Resistance bands can be an instrumental part of your workout. They are an affordable accessory to add to your workout, and they don’t take up too much space either. Unlike other exercise equipment, resistance bands can be used by people of all ages and genders for muscle strengthening. Here are some of the benefits of exercising with resistance bands:
- Works for every muscle group
Resistance bands can be used in your warm-up and cool-down exercises to stretch your muscles. They can also be used in your workout to train small muscle groups such as the biceps and triceps.
- Reduces risk of injury
Resistance bands can offer a better muscle exercise than other weight training equipment. They also reduce the risk of injury by reducing the stress on your joints while exercising.
- Adds variation to your workout
There are different types of resistance bands you can choose from. The thicker the band, the harder it will be to stretch it. By using different bands, you can change the intensity of your workouts. It is used in varied exercises for your leg and arm muscles with horizontal and vertical movement.
4 resistance band exercises to try at home
Resistance band workouts are helpful for both, a beginner and a pro. It will only add to the health benefits of your exercises. Here are some resistance band exercises that you can try at home:
1. Chest stretches
This exercise will help stretch muscles in your arms, back, and shoulders. Here’s how you can do it:
- Hold two sides of the resistance band in your hands.
- Lift your arms and point them straight ahead.
- Stretch the resistance band out as wide as you can.
- Return to your original position and repeat 15-20 times.
2. Hip extensions
This lower body exercise works on your hip, thigh, and calf muscles. Here’s how you can do it:
- Tie the resistance band around both your ankles to form a loop.
- Lift your left leg behind as high as possible while keeping it straight.
- Return to the starting position and repeat 10 times with each leg.
Resistance bands can make regular squats a much more effective exercise. Here’s how you can use them while doing squats:
- Place the resistance band on the underside of your feet and hold both of its ends in your hands.
- Lift your upper body while stretching the resistance band
- Return to a squat position slowly, because this increases the stress on your arm muscles.
- Repeat the exercise 10 times.
Note: You can also loop the resistance band around your thighs to work your leg muscles.
Push-ups are a common upper body exercise for your arms chest and shoulder muscles. Resistance bands can make it more effective. Here’s how:
- Loop the resistance band around your back and hold its ends in your hands.
- Get into plank position to find out how much you can stretch the band
- Lower your body without touching the floor and lift again.
- Repeat the exercise 10 times.