Blood pressure is defined as the pressure that blood applies to the walls of the arteries while being pumped by the heart. A normal blood pressure is 120/80 mm Hg. Where 120 is the pressure when the heart pumps and 80 is the pressure when the heart relaxes. This much pressure is important because blood needs to reach every organ of the body to provide it with nutrients.
Sometimes blood pressure is higher than normal which is caused because of factors like stress, excessive salt in the diet, obesity, lack of physical activity, and so on. In cases where blood pressure goes up for a short time but then returns to normal, a doctor can prescribe medication to help control it. However, there may be cases where blood pressure shoots up unexpectedly and emergency care is required.
Symptoms Of Sudden High Blood Pressure
- Severe headache
- Heart palpitations and pounding in the ears and neck
- Problems with vision
- Difficulty breading
- Pain in the chest
What If A Family Member Needs Emergency Treatment For High BP
The first thing to do is to call your doctor immediately and report the symptoms. If you have been advised to get to the hospital, do as your doctor says.
Here’s What You Can Do In The Meantime To Help Lower The Blood Pressure
- Try to stay calm. This might not be easy if you are worried, but remember that being calm can actually reduce blood pressure. Sit down and focus on your breathing. Take a few deep breaths and hold them for a few seconds before releasing.
- Take your blood pressure medication if your doctor has prescribed something for you.
- A cup of hibiscus or chamomile tea can also help you feel calmer, it is a good idea to stock up on these teabags. However, avoid black tea or coffee at this time.
- You can also eat a piece of dark chocolate to help the release of endorphins that will calm you down.
The best way to manage high blood pressure is with small consistent steps, over time. However, if you do find yourself in an emergency, remember to stay as calm as possible and follow the points mentioned above. Read more about such health tips on our blog which has articles on fitness and lifestyle to guide you in your journey towards better health.