Cholesterol is a fatty acid that your body requires to build cell membranes, Vitamin D, hormones, and bile acids. Cholesterol is produced by your body and is obtained from the food you eat too. When your bad cholesterol rises above a certain level, you are at a greater risk of developing diabetes and major heart conditions.
How Does Ayurveda Help In Reducing Cholesterol Levels?
There’s no need to press the panic button because you can get your cholesterol in control by changing your lifestyle and diet. If you are averse to taking pills or medication to control your cholesterol, research suggests that ayurvedic treatments for cholesterol can be effective too.
In Ayurveda, your diet is central to your good health. Hence, the ayurvedic remedies for cholesterol also aim to improve your diet by keeping your liver healthy while also balancing the fat metabolism in the body.
What Are The Effective Ayurvedic Treatments For High Cholesterol?
1. Panchakarma Treatment
This ayurvedic treatment for cholesterol involves meditation, yoga and massages that detoxify and strengthen the body. A study revealed that undergoing a panchakarma program for one week can regulate cholesterol and reduce risk of cardiovascular diseases.
2. Kapha Pacifying Diet
In Ayurveda, your Kapha Dosha is disrupted when you eat or drink foods with too much salt and sugar. The diet prescribed to bring your Kapha Dosha back on track includes foods like:
- Astringent foods including lentils, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and fruits like apples and pears, that can control the levels of good and bad cholesterol.
- Bitter food and leafy green vegetables that improve your digestion
- Whole grains like oats and quinoa that improve metabolism of fats in the body.
3. Medicinal Herbs
Guggul and Arjuna are two naturally found ayurvedic herbs that are commonly used in cholesterol medication too. Apart from these, you can also include herbs like Shilajit, Vrikshamla, Haritaki among others which help lower blood pressure.
Things To Remember Before Choosing Ayurvedic Treatments
These treatments have their individual health benefits too apart from reducing cholesterol. However, you should keep a few things in mind before choosing these remedies.
- If you are already taking medication for cholesterol it would be better to check how these remedies can affect the medicines.
- You can personalise your ayurvedic treatment by consulting a certified expert in the field.
- Check with your doctor to see if you might have an allergic reaction to any of these treatments before you begin.
Apart from these ayurvedic remedies for cholesterol, you can also adopt a few healthy habits to effectively regulate your cholesterol at home too. Remember the old cliché of staying active and having a healthy body weight are also effective ways to lower cholesterol so don’t forget to exercise regularly with the help of articles on fitness and exercise.