Lakhan: Hi Ram, how are you?
Ram: I am fine! How are you doing?
Lakhan: I am doing great!
Ram: It seems, you are hiding something from me! Don’t you remember our promise to never hide anything from each other?
Lakhan: Yes brother! I remember! I’m curious as to how you’ve managed to outsmart me in building a huge bank balance.
Ram (After having a good laugh): There is nothing magical in it! Avoiding herd mentality, showing fiscal discipline, taking informed decisions, avoiding timing the market and letting the mind make the decisions are the golden rules that have helped me achieve this.
Lakhan: Can you please explain?
We happened to eavesdrop on the conversation and managed to capture these timeless nuggets of investing wisdom, for you.
- Avoiding herd mentality When it comes to financial investments, following the herd always yields low returns. While it is common to seek the advice of friends and colleagues, spend some time tracking finance magazines and blogs to get insights into trending investment topics. This will help you stay ahead of the curve.
- Investing for the long term Even during long bull runs, short spells of volatility can erase a sizeable portion of your investment. Therefore, one way you can generate good returns is by systematically putting your money in the right stocks and holding on to your investment over the long term.
- Research your options As a first-time investor, it’s important to consider a firm’s reputation before investing their money and check out its fundamentals. Taking an informed decision after conducting proper research can ensure good returns for you in the stock market.
- Avoid timing the market Most investors try to time the market before making an investment. However, even for a seasoned investor, it is almost impossible to perfectly time the market over a long period of time. You can lose more money than gain by trying to time the market and hence it is better to avoid this.
- Make a balanced decision One important factor that the investor should control while investing in the stock market is their emotions. Investments should not be made on the basis of greed or fear as a change in market conditions can result in huge losses.
So, in a nutshell, to maximize your returns, follow trusted sources of information and make smart choices based on your financial goals and risk appetite.
Click here to open a free demat and trading account.
The information contained herein is generic in nature and is meant for educational purposes only. Nothing here is to be construed as an investment or financial or taxation advice nor to be considered as an invitation or solicitation or advertisement for any financial product. Readers are advised to exercise discretion and should seek independent professional advice prior to making any investment decision in relation to any financial product. Aditya Birla Capital Group is not liable for any decision arising out of the use of this information.
Tuition fee deduction under Section 80C of Income Tax Act
Educating a child can be an expensive proposition for most parents. As the cost of quality education is on the rise, the potential for saving money seems less likely. However, there are tax benefits that can be availed under the provisions of the Income Tax Act, 1961. Recurring expenses such as tuition fees is one such category that qualifies for tax relief, subject to certain terms and conditions.
6 Things you Should Know Before Buying Insurance Policy for Bike
Buying or renewing an insurance policy for your bike can often be overwhelming. Check out this short guide to know the factors you should consider while choosing the best insurance policy for your bike.
PPF Withdrawl: When & How to Withdraw PPF
PPF (Public Provident Fund) is a savings scheme, which is backed by the government on purpose to build a retirement corpus. As PPF is a long-term investment, it comes with a specified lock-in period. Read on to know about the maturity period and the withdrawal systems.
5 Types of Business Loan For Woman Entrepreneurs
There are now many different types of loans options in India for women wanting to explore their entrepreneurial dreams. Read this post to know 5 of the most popular options.