Characteristic features of Senior Citizen’s InsuranceHealth insurance plans specially designed for senior citizens have some unique identifying features such as the following.
- Only citizens between the age of 60 and 75 are eligible for insurance plans.
- Most plans have cashless hospitalization services to offer once 24 hours have passed since the patient has been admitted.
- Coverage is counted by including the pre-hospitalization and post-hospitalization period.
- Generally, no pre-medical test is needed for purchasing an insurance plan.
- Once the waiting tenor is over senior citizens have the liberty to include pre-existing diseases and specific ailments.
- Annually, the insured citizens can avail health check-ups.
- Some insurance plans cover ambulance charges, day care expenses etc.
- The claim settlement is faster and hassle-free.
Factors affecting Insurance policies for Senior Citizens
- Co-payment clause- Senior citizens should be wary of the co-payment clause depending upon the treatment and medications. If the percentage of co-payment is lesser, then the insured will have to pay less out of his/her own pocket.
- Waiting periods- It is the duration for which the insured will have to wait for the illness to be listed in the policy. In a few cases, the company provides coverage to pre-existing conditions by charging extra premium.
- Coverage amount- When senior citizens are purchasing a health insurance policy they should give primacy to the coverage amount. Additionally, they should take into consideration their own financial position, medical history and also check the sub-limits, room rent offered by the company. It is always advisable for them to select plans with maximum coverage and minimum exclusions.
- Pre-existing ailments- Senior citizens should ideally choose plans which have a provision for including pre-existing ailments. There are many companies which summarily reject claims made on the basis of pre-existing ailments.
- Lifetime renewal option- Medical insurance plans with a lifetime renewal plan is more suitable for senior citizens. In old age, it becomes a daunting task for people to renew their policy since many companies impose a cut-off period.
Common exclusions under Senior Citizen Medical InsuranceThere are certain clauses that are excluded from most senior citizen insurance plans. Those are
Senior citizen health insurance has numerous advantages and indirectly allows the likelihood of combating age-related ailments better. With the steady hike in healthcare costs, paying all medical expenses through one’s savings can be difficult. Henceforth, senior citizens will remain better equipped if they opt for an appropriate policy.
Learn more about different Health Insurance Plans here.
The information contained herein is generic in nature and is meant for educational purposes only. Nothing here is to be construed as an investment or financial or taxation advice nor to be considered as an invitation or solicitation or advertisement for any financial product. Readers are advised to exercise discretion and should seek independent professional advice prior to making any investment decision in relation to any financial product. Aditya Birla Capital Group is not liable for any decision arising out of the use of this information.
Tuition fee deduction under Section 80C of Income Tax Act
Educating a child can be an expensive proposition for most parents. As the cost of quality education is on the rise, the potential for saving money seems less likely. However, there are tax benefits that can be availed under the provisions of the Income Tax Act, 1961. Recurring expenses such as tuition fees is one such category that qualifies for tax relief, subject to certain terms and conditions.
6 Things you Should Know Before Buying Insurance Policy for Bike
Buying or renewing an insurance policy for your bike can often be overwhelming. Check out this short guide to know the factors you should consider while choosing the best insurance policy for your bike.
PPF Withdrawl: When & How to Withdraw PPF
PPF (Public Provident Fund) is a savings scheme, which is backed by the government on purpose to build a retirement corpus. As PPF is a long-term investment, it comes with a specified lock-in period. Read on to know about the maturity period and the withdrawal systems.
5 Types of Business Loan For Woman Entrepreneurs
There are now many different types of loans options in India for women wanting to explore their entrepreneurial dreams. Read this post to know 5 of the most popular options.