With a fixed deposit account, you’d be able to invest a fixed sum of money for a particular period of time. Few points that tick for fixed deposit accounts are that they entail lower risks, offer considerable returns and are easy to open and operate. Let’s learn more.
Elements to a fixed deposit account
- Risk : A fixed deposit is generally considered to be one of the less risky instruments, one that investors have long used to earn a stable income. Unlike market-linked investments, returns from an FD are fixed on the date of opening the account. In fact, should interest rates fall after having opened the account, you’d still earn returns, basis the rate decided at the time of opening.
- Type of account This type of account can be solely made in the investor’s name, or in conjunction with a second party, in keeping with the investor’s preferences.
- Ease of operations : You can set up an FD account online within a matter of minutes. Besides being one of the more common financial products offered by banks, setting up an FD account entails minimum documentation and hassle-free paperwork.
Interesting facts about FDs
- Senior citizens can get a higher rate of interest :
- You can avail a loan against your FD : There might be a circumstance when you’d need access to additional finances in order to achieve a particular objective. In such a scenario, you can turn to your FD account. Here, the fixed deposit account is considered collateral against which you’d be able to avail a loan. It follows that in times of dire urgency, you’d not need to liquidate long accumulated investments.
- You can cash in on tax benefits : In keeping with the current taxation regime, you’d be eligible for tax exemptions of a maximum value of Rs.1.5 lakh over a financial year, as stated by Section 80C of the IT Act, 1961, if you invest in a tax-saving FD.
Should you be a senior citizen, you’d be eligible for higher returns on your investment.
Should you want to withdraw prematurely (that is prior to the date of maturity), you’d have to pay a penalty to the bank. Usually, banks issue a different receipt for every fixed deposit (known as a FD receipt), for the simple reason that each is treated much like a distinct contract. You’d have to present this receipt to the bank during the time of encashment or renewal.
These days, leading banks have the provision for automatic renewal of a fixed deposit. All you’d need to do is issue instructions for the new matured deposit. Come the day of maturity, these deposits can then be renewed again at the prevalent rate of interest, on the day of renewal.
Learn more about Mutual Funds for a good personal financial management.
The information contained herein is generic in nature and is meant for educational purposes only. Nothing here is to be construed as an investment or financial or taxation advice nor to be considered as an invitation or solicitation or advertisement for any financial product. Readers are advised to exercise discretion and should seek independent professional advice prior to making any investment decision in relation to any financial product. Aditya Birla Capital Group is not liable for any decision arising out of the use of this information.
How to save on gift tax in India?
You need to pay taxes on gifts which exceed the limits set by the Government. However, gifts of any amount received or given from relatives including parents and spouse are tax-free.
6 Factors for Rising Health Insurance Premiums
While the demand for health insurance policies has certainly increased, there has also been a rise in the premium costs. Read this post to know the top factors that lead to an increase in the premiums of health insurance.
What Is FTSE And Why Does It Matter?
Informally referred to as the ‘footsie’, FTSE is a joint venture between the London Stock Exchange and the Financial Times of London. The acronym stands for Financial Times and Stock Exchange, and the indices of this joint venture comprise UK’s most highly-capitalized companies that are listed on the London Stock Exchange.
5 Types of Business Loan For Woman Entrepreneurs
There are now many different types of loans options in India for women wanting to explore their entrepreneurial dreams. Read this post to know 5 of the most popular options.