- Bank fixed deposits To begin with, you can invest in the tried and tested bank fixed deposit (FD). A relatively safe bet, a bank FD gives assured returns. FD is one of the most common offerings from banks and is easy to avail. Just walk into the branch of the bank where you hold an account, fill up the FD form and you are done. You can also do it online through net banking.
- Recurring deposit A recurring deposit (RD) can be another ideal investment option, if you are first-time investor. You can start an RD from as little as Rs. 100 per month. You can automate an RD by giving your bank standing instructions to debit a certain amount each month from your savings accounts and credit it into your RD account, where it earns interest.
- Mutual funds As a first-time investor, you can start investing mutual funds via systematic investment plan (SIP), where a certain amount is deducted from your account and invested in the fund chosen. If you are a conservative investor, you can begin with debt funds which carry a lower amount of risk compared to equities.
- Public provident fund (PPF) A government-backed scheme, you can open a PPF account in any designated bank or post office. Note that you can deposit a maximum of Rs. 1.5 lakh in a financial year into your PPF account and claim deduction on the same.
- National savings certificate (NSC) NSC can be another prudent investment option if you are venturing into investment for the first time. Generally, NSCs come with a maturity period of 5 years and you can claim tax deduction on investments made up to Rs. 1.5 lakh.
Most banks issue the FD certificate on the same day, outlining the principal amount, rate of interest, tenure and the maturity amount. However, note that interest income from a bank FD is added to your annual income and taxed as per the existing income tax slab.
However, note that just like a bank FD, the interest income from your RD is added to your income and taxed as per the existing income tax rates.
On the other hand, if you want to be a little aggressive, you can opt for an equity fund that has delivered decent returns over a long time period, say 5 to 8 years. Note that to gain from your mutual fund investment(s), you need to remain invested for a long term.
PPF interest rates are decided on a quarterly basis. Also, PPF is an EEE (exempt, exempt, exempt) instrument which means the amount invested, interest earned and maturity amount are not subjected to taxes.
Note that the interest earned on NSC is taxable as it’s added under the head ‘Income from Other Sources.’ Just like PPF, the interest rate from NSC is revised every quarter.
Learn more about Mutual Funds for a good personal financial management.
The information contained herein is generic in nature and is meant for educational purposes only. Nothing here is to be construed as an investment or financial or taxation advice nor to be considered as an invitation or solicitation or advertisement for any financial product. Readers are advised to exercise discretion and should seek independent professional advice prior to making any investment decision in relation to any financial product. Aditya Birla Capital Group is not liable for any decision arising out of the use of this information.
How to save on gift tax in India?
You need to pay taxes on gifts which exceed the limits set by the Government. However, gifts of any amount received or given from relatives including parents and spouse are tax-free.
6 Factors for Rising Health Insurance Premiums
While the demand for health insurance policies has certainly increased, there has also been a rise in the premium costs. Read this post to know the top factors that lead to an increase in the premiums of health insurance.
What are the Trading Hours for World's Major Stock Exchanges?
A stock exchange is a marketplace where the shares of companies are sold and purchased throughout the day during the ‘trading hours’
5 Types of Business Loan For Woman Entrepreneurs
There are now many different types of loans options in India for women wanting to explore their entrepreneurial dreams. Read this post to know 5 of the most popular options.