How to transfer a Home Loan balance?
- Request your current lender to provide the documents needed for refinancing the loan
- After the lender provides a consenting letter with outstanding loan amount, these documents will have to be provided to the new lender who wishes to refinance the loan. It is important to note that the bank you are shifting to will offer you a loan, based on the current home loan rates they are offering to their applicants
- The new lender will transfer the pending amount to the old lender.
- The old lender will now handover all important documents – property papers & the remaining postdated cheques and ECS will be cancelled; officially completing the refinancing procedures
Tips while dealing with Home Loan Balance TransferBefore commencing the process, it is important to do a cost-benefit analysis, to see whether the transfer would be benefitting. Couple of points on should look at:
- If the interest is on fixed rate, then a pre-payment penalty needs to be paid to transfer the loan, in such a situation it is not advisable to do the same. In case, the interest is on floating rate – then transferring loan to a new bank, offering better interest is viable
- One should keep in mind, that the new bank would also charge a processing fee. This may vary from 0.25% – 1%
- Look out for other hidden charges in the process, for example some banks do not include documentation charges in the processing fee. Also, when a new mortgage deal is prepared, a Stamp duty has to be paid on that (which is not included in the processing fee)
Calculating home loan balanceTry to understand this situation with an example,
If Shyam, has a 40 Lac outstanding loan, and is going from a 10% interest to 9%, his annual benefit is approximately Rs. 40,000.
While this is a huge gain, it is worth noting that there are other miscellaneous costs, which also need to be taken into consideration, including the processing fee of the new bank. Assuming, the processing fee @0.50%, his outgo is Rs. 20,000.
In such a situation, he is still saving on Rs. 20,000 and hence, the process of home loan transfer can be pursued.
Decision for a home loan balance transfer, should be looked at carefully, taking into consideration all forms of costs involved, and even the stage of tenure you are in.
Learn more about your Home Loan Eligibility here.
The information contained herein is generic in nature and is meant for educational purposes only. Nothing here is to be construed as an investment or financial or taxation advice nor to be considered as an invitation or solicitation or advertisement for any financial product. Readers are advised to exercise discretion and should seek independent professional advice prior to making any investment decision in relation to any financial product. Aditya Birla Capital Group is not liable for any decision arising out of the use of this information.
How to save on gift tax in India?
You need to pay taxes on gifts which exceed the limits set by the Government. However, gifts of any amount received or given from relatives including parents and spouse are tax-free.
Why Individual Health Insurance is a Must Buy Over Corporate Health Insurance?
It is a known fact that medical inflation is growing at twice the rate of regular inflation. While most salaried employees are entitled to health insurance provided by their employer, investing in individual health insurance, personalised to suit specific health conditions, has its merits.
What Is Trade Price In Stock Market & How Does It Work?
Also known as the market price, trade price of a commodity is the price at which it is currently selling in the market. In the context of trading, the price at which a share is being purchased or sold in the stock market at a given point of time is known as its trade price.
5 Types of Business Loan For Woman Entrepreneurs
There are now many different types of loans options in India for women wanting to explore their entrepreneurial dreams. Read this post to know 5 of the most popular options.