Impact of a sabbatical on your jobShould you take a sabbatical when you’re at your peak or nearing your peak, it can confer a few strategic benefits on your professional prospects. Conversely, it might raise a few red flags. Both benefits and the possible drawbacks for taking a sabbatical have been stated below:
- Hone existing skills and learn new ones
That being said, you’d do no harm if you started reading about topics out of your comfort zone. For instance, considering a lawyer decides to take up a full-time MBA course designed for professionals. This way, he/she would be able to integrate his/her legal knowledge with nitty-gritty of the corporate world. This will only broaden one’s knowledge base and result in increased productivity once he/she decides to resume professional duties.
- Get clarity from a professional standpoint
A sabbatical at this time can be a breather – for it can allow you the time to attain clarity in terms of what profession can be appropriate in keeping with your aptitude and skill set.
More importantly, a well thought out break from work now can offer you newer insights into your job role, thereby imbuing a fresh lease of creativity and renewed approach.
- Cultivate networks across domains
You can also consider proceeding with an independent project or adding other dimensions to your job profile using these connections.
The possible drawbacksA sabbatical that is ill-timed and stands bereft of any objective has the potential to backfire as well, thereby harming professional standing.
- Should you don’t execute the plan for having taken a sabbatical with precision, you might end up squandering valuable professional time – something that can make you feel frustrated by the end of it.
- Post the time-off, it could be overwhelming coming back to work – considering hierarchy might have had changed while you were on the sabbatical or existing technology wiped off, for that matter. This feeling of disconnect can be difficult to overcome.
- An unpaid sabbatical may stretch your financial resources to the maximum. Should you not be able to manage family budget properly and cut down on wayward expenses, your financial footing might end up being jeopardized.
Click here to visit our personalised online advisor that gives you the financial expertise you need.
The information contained herein is generic in nature and is meant for educational purposes only. Nothing here is to be construed as an investment or financial or taxation advice nor to be considered as an invitation or solicitation or advertisement for any financial product. Readers are advised to exercise discretion and should seek independent professional advice prior to making any investment decision in relation to any financial product. Aditya Birla Capital Group is not liable for any decision arising out of the use of this information.
Disadvantages of Early Retirement - What Happens When You're Not Working?
Early retirement seems to be good, many people enjoy life without working especially with extra earnings. But they are not aware about the cons. Lets explore the disadvantages of retiring early to save your retirement life.
5 Benefits of Health Insurance that Makes it a Must Have Cover
Here are the 5 benefits of health insurance that makes it a must to cover
When Should You Withdraw Money from a Mutual Fund?
In case of a sudden change in fund strategy or an underperformance scheme for more than 3-4 years, it makes sense to withdraw money.