1. Who is Required to File GST Return?Every business registered under GST must file GST return twice in a month along with one return that is filed annually. While it might look like filing two returns every month can be a tedious process, the government has automated the process to a major extent.
You are only required to fill details on the GSTR-1 form manually. GSTR 3B, which is the next form you must file every month is auto-populated based on the details you and your vendors enter in GSTR-1.
2. Types of GST ReturnThere are many GST return types, which a business is required to file at different intervals. Here is a list of some of the most common ones-
- GSTR-1: Monthly filed returns of outward supplies
- GSTR-3B: Monthly-filed return which constitutes a summary of your outward supplies and the input tax credit
- GSTR-9: Annually filed return for all businesses
Similarly, there are other returns such as GSTR-5, GSTR-6, GSTR-7, GSTR-9A, etc. for different taxpayers and purposes.
3. Due Date for Filing GST ReturnsJust like the different types of returns, GST return due dates are also different. For instance, the due date for filing GSTR-1 is 11th of the next month. The same for GSTR-3B is 20th of the next month. For GSTR-9 which is filed annually, the due date is 31st December of the next financial year.
4. Late Fees and Penalties Under GSTIf GST return filing online is not done before the due date, you will be required to pay a late fee and interest. The current penalty interest is 18% per annum which is calculated on your total outstanding tax. The period considered will be from the next day of the due date until you pay the tax.
There is also a late fee of Rs. 100 on CGST and SGST separately which can be up to Rs. 5,000. However, IGST does not have any late fee.
GST return process is easy, and the laws are stringent to prevent tax evasion and late payments. Keep the details mentioned above in mind if you are new to GST to make sure that your business files the correct returns on time and remains protected against penalties and interest payment.
Click here to visit our personalized online advisor that gives you the financial expertise you need.
The information contained herein is generic in nature and is meant for educational purposes only. Nothing here is to be construed as an investment or financial or taxation advice nor to be considered as an invitation or solicitation or advertisement for any financial product. Readers are advised to exercise discretion and should seek independent professional advice prior to making any investment decision in relation to any financial product. Aditya Birla Capital Group is not liable for any decision arising out of the use of this information.
Are Savings Enough for Retirement?
Financial discipline and life aspirations determine whether your savings are going to be enough for retirement.
5 Benefits of Health Insurance that Makes it a Must Have Cover
Here are the 5 benefits of health insurance that makes it a must to cover
When Should You Withdraw Money from a Mutual Fund?
In case of a sudden change in fund strategy or an underperformance scheme for more than 3-4 years, it makes sense to withdraw money.
How To Apply For Personal Loan
Applying for a personal loan has become extremely easy these days. With the increase in applicants, banks and other financial institutions have made the process very simple.