What are money market funds?
Money market mutual funds (MMMF) are open-ended, short-term liquid investments which invest in safe and high-quality liquid money market instruments like treasury bills, commercial paper, certificates of deposits and repurchase agreements. It provides investors with reasonable returns for up to 1 year.
What choices of instruments do people have?
Factors to consider
1. Risk : These funds suffer from interest rate risk, where the prices of underlying asset increase as interest rates decline and decrease as interest rates rise. The fund manager may invest in risky securities which have a higher probability of default
2. Return : A Money Market Fund might give you more return than a savings account. However, there are no guaranteed returns. The Net Asset Value (NAV) fluctuates with changes in the overall interest rate regime. A fall in interest rates may increase the prices of an underlying asset and deliver good returns
3. Costs : Expense ratio refers to the fees charged by Money Market Funds to manage your portfolio. An ideal fund is one which keeps its expense ratio low. As the assets under management (AUM) increase, the cost of operations dwindles
4. Investment Horizon Money Market Funds are only suitable for very short-term to short-term investment horizons .i.e. 3 months to 1 year
5. Financial Goals : In case you have to make EMI payments or invest extra cash while maintaining liquidity, you can use money market funds
6.Tax on Gains : Investing in debt funds provides you with taxable capital gains. The tax rate depends on the holding period, i.e. for how long you stayed invested in the fund
Who should invest?
Those investors with surplus cash in a savings bank account, which they don’t require urgently, and low-risk appetite can invest in money market funds.
Explore Various Mutual Funds here.
The information contained herein is generic in nature and is meant for educational purposes only. Nothing here is to be construed as an investment or financial or taxation advice nor to be considered as an invitation or solicitation or advertisement for any financial product. Readers are advised to exercise discretion and should seek independent professional advice prior to making any investment decision in relation to any financial product. Aditya Birla Capital Group is not liable for any decision arising out of the use of this information.
Will My Health Insurance become Costly upon Relocating to the Countryside after Retirement?
Spending your old age in the country side can be an excellent idea, given you have adequate health cover, the cost of which might rise if you happen to move to a rural area.
4 Benefits of Buying Student Travel Insurance
Student travel insurance is a mandate in the US and Schengen countries. Learn more about why investing in it can help your child succeed while studying away from home.
Mutual Funds vs Savings Account
While mutual funds help build a corpus for various life goals, a savings account help in meeting day-to-day expenses.
Why Business Loans Application Are Rejected?
From low credit scores to insufficient collateral, there are plenty of reasons why your business loan application can get rejected.