Five of the most important things you should know about Section 80LA income tax deductions are as follows-
1. What are the Offshore Banking Units and International Financial Services Centres?An offshore banking unit is defined as a bank branch that is located in SEZ (Special Economic Zone). Such bank branches are required to take special permissions as per the Banking Regulations Act, 1949.
Similarly, an international financial services centre is defined as a financial centre that undertakes financial transactions carried out either by subsidiaries or overseas branches of Indian financial institutions, or overseas financial institutions.
2. Who is Eligible to Claim Tax Deductions Under Section 80LA?Here is a list of entities that can claim tax deductions under Section 80LA-
- Scheduled banks with offshore banking units in SEZs
- Scheduled banks not incorporated under or by the laws of any country, apart from India
- Any registered unit of an international financial services centre
3. What are the Deductions Available Under Section 80LA?As per Section 80LA, 100% of income from 5 consecutive years generated by an offshore banking unit or international financial services centre is eligible for tax deductions. After this period of 5 years, there is a 50% tax deduction available for the following 5 years.
4. Which Income is Eligible for Tax Deduction Under Section 80LA?The tax deduction will be available on the income generated by-
- Offshore banking units located in SEZs
- Business as per Banking Regulation Act’s Section 6(1)
- An undertaking located in SEZs
- Any undertaking that operates, maintains or develops SEZs
- Any international financial services centre unit
5. How to Claim Tax Deductions Under Section 80LA?An eligible offshore banking unit or international financial services centre can claim Section 80LA deduction while filing the tax returns. The deduction should be first approved by a CA (Chartered Accountant). The approval certificate given by the CA should be submitted along with Form 10CCF at the time of filing returns.
A copy of the approval permission received under Section 23 (1)(a) of the Banking Regulation Act will also be required to claim the deduction successfully.
Maximize Tax Savings with Section 80LAEligible offshore banking units and international financial services centres can reduce their tax burden by claiming deductions for up to 10 years under Section 80LA.
File your tax returns on time and submit the correct documents at the time of filing returns to get your claim accepted by the IT department.
Click here to visit our personalized online advisor that gives you the financial expertise you need.
The information contained herein is generic in nature and is meant for educational purposes only. Nothing here is to be construed as an investment or financial or taxation advice nor to be considered as an invitation or solicitation or advertisement for any financial product. Readers are advised to exercise discretion and should seek independent professional advice prior to making any investment decision in relation to any financial product. Aditya Birla Capital Group is not liable for any decision arising out of the use of this information.
Disadvantages of Early Retirement - What Happens When You're Not Working?
Early retirement seems to be good, many people enjoy life without working especially with extra earnings. But they are not aware about the cons. Lets explore the disadvantages of retiring early to save your retirement life.
5 Benefits of Health Insurance that Makes it a Must Have Cover
Here are the 5 benefits of health insurance that makes it a must to cover
When Should You Withdraw Money from a Mutual Fund?
In case of a sudden change in fund strategy or an underperformance scheme for more than 3-4 years, it makes sense to withdraw money.
How To Apply For Personal Loan
Applying for a personal loan has become extremely easy these days. With the increase in applicants, banks and other financial institutions have made the process very simple.