Events that lead to issuing of bonus sharesThere could be a mix of circumstances that might warrant a company to issue bonus shares. These include:
- In times of excess capital Note that when a company is on a profit-making spree, the accumulated profits will keep on mounting. During such an event, the profit generated is much higher than the amount of share capital. In a bid to avoid abnormality in capital structure, the excess capital is distributed among existing shareholder through bonus share.
- To enhance liquidity in the stock One of the purposes of issuing bonus share is to increase liquidity of the stock and encourage retail participation. When a firm issues bonus shares, it sends a positive signal to the market that it’s in good financial health.
- To satiate the shareholder’s need for a dividend There are instances wherein an enterprise is not in a position to pay out dividends in the form of cash. In circumstances such as these, issuing bonus shares is the only viable alternative at the company’s disposal. Issuance of such shares is an indicator of the company being on solid financial footing.
Advantages of bonus shares to investorsAs an investor, issuance of bonus shares holds several advantages for you. Some of them are:
- You don’t need to pay anything extra to avail these shares. Hence, there’s a substantial increase in profits.
- When you receive dividends, you need to pay tax on them. However, this is not the case with bonus shares. In other words, these shares are exempted from taxation.
- If need be, you can convert these shares into cash by selling them at a higher price
- It’s essential to note that you should not invest in shares of a company, purely with the intention of receiving bonus shares.
- You must thoroughly research company fundamentals and proceed only should you feel that they are watertight.
Financial prudence calls for using bonus share in a manner that can help you gain maximum mileage. Use them judiciously to enhance your profits.
Click here to open a free demat and trading account.
The information contained herein is generic in nature and is meant for educational purposes only. Nothing here is to be construed as an investment or financial or taxation advice nor to be considered as an invitation or solicitation or advertisement for any financial product. Readers are advised to exercise discretion and should seek independent professional advice prior to making any investment decision in relation to any financial product. Aditya Birla Capital Group is not liable for any decision arising out of the use of this information.
Are Savings Enough for Retirement?
Financial discipline and life aspirations determine whether your savings are going to be enough for retirement.
5 Benefits of Health Insurance that Makes it a Must Have Cover
Here are the 5 benefits of health insurance that makes it a must to cover
When Should You Withdraw Money from a Mutual Fund?
In case of a sudden change in fund strategy or an underperformance scheme for more than 3-4 years, it makes sense to withdraw money.
How To Apply For Personal Loan
Applying for a personal loan has become extremely easy these days. With the increase in applicants, banks and other financial institutions have made the process very simple.