What is a Debt Consolidation Loan?A debt consolidation strategy allows a person to use a new, favourable loan (a lower rate of interest or lesser monthly payments or both) to pay off multiple liabilities such as several smaller loans, credit card bills, overdraft balances, etc.
Types of Debt Consolidation LoansTypically, these are of two types:
- Secured loan: These loans are protected against collateral such as real estate, vehicle, gold, insurance policy, equity, etc. which can be easily converted to cash. A secured loan can be used to combine several unsecured debts.
- Unsecured loan: An unsecured loan is not secured against collateral and is solely issued basis the credit history and CIBIL score of a person.
Eligibility and Process of Debt Consolidation LoansA bank, financial institution, credit card company or a credit union can issue a debt consolidation loan to a person who meets the below eligibility criteria:
- Age of the person should be 21 to 60 years
- The monthly salary of the candidate should be at least ₹15,000. However, this varies per bank, city, and other factors
- Applicant must be residing in the city of application since a year
- Applicant should hold a minimum working experience of 2 years
- All documents should be fair, true and duly submitted. The types of documents include – address proof, ID proof, bank statement, salary proof, etc.
- A person must have a good CIBIL score – ideally 620 above, though some exceptions can be made by lenders here
Process of Debt Consolidation LoanApplying for a debt consolidation loan is simple if one meets the eligibility. The process includes:
- Analyzing the official website of institutions offering debt consolidation loans
- Conducting a comparative analysis based on interest rates, payment terms, etc. and selecting the ideal one
- Filling the form and applying for the loan from the chosen lender
- Submitting all necessary documents required
- Upon loan approval, the sum is deposited in the bank account to be used by the borrower for the said purpose.
Overall, a debt consolidation loan appears as an attractive financial move, though it must be opted for with utmost caution and after deep analysis of all advantages and disadvantages.
Learn more about your home loan eligibility here.
The information contained herein is generic in nature and is meant for educational purposes only. Nothing here is to be construed as an investment or financial or taxation advice nor to be considered as an invitation or solicitation or advertisement for any financial product. Readers are advised to exercise discretion and should seek independent professional advice prior to making any investment decision in relation to any financial product. Aditya Birla Capital Group is not liable for any decision arising out of the use of this information.
Disadvantages of Early Retirement - What Happens When You're Not Working?
Early retirement seems to be good, many people enjoy life without working especially with extra earnings. But they are not aware about the cons. Lets explore the disadvantages of retiring early to save your retirement life.
5 Benefits of Health Insurance that Makes it a Must Have Cover
Here are the 5 benefits of health insurance that makes it a must to cover
When Should You Withdraw Money from a Mutual Fund?
In case of a sudden change in fund strategy or an underperformance scheme for more than 3-4 years, it makes sense to withdraw money.