You can claim a refund on the excess tax paid to the IT department by filing your income tax returns (ITR).
Let us have a look at how this can be done-
How to Claim Refund on Excess Tax Paid?In case you have paid more tax than you were required to or if the TDS was higher than your tax liability, you canclaim a tax refund. In the past, tax refund claims were required to be submitted along with Form 30 at the time of filing ITR.
But from 1st September 2019, the new Finance Act has eliminated this requirement. You are now only required to file your ITR to claim a refund on the excess taxes paid.
Steps to Claim Tax RefundFollow these steps for claim your tax refund-
- File your ITR with the help of the applicable form online and e-verify the same
- After successful verification, the online system will automatically calculate the refund you are entitled to receive (if any)
- In case you have paid excess tax and the same is showing on your ITR form, you should make sure that you have pre-validated your bank account
- If you are eligible to receive a refund, you will mostly receive an intimation under Section 143(1)(c) through email
- You will also receive a refund reference number for tracking your refund
How to Track Refund Status Online?You can easily check the status of your refund claim online. Follow these steps for the same-
- Visit https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/ and login to your account
- In the top menu bar, scroll over to the “My Account” option
- A drop-down menu will open, and you can click on "My Returns/Forms"
- You will be redirected to a new page where you can check the status of your refund
Interest on Tax RefundAs per the IT laws, you are entitled to also receive interest at a monthly rate of 0.5% on your refund amount in case if you don’t receive it within due time. But if the refund amount is lower than 10% of your actual tax liability, no interest would be paid.
Thanks to digitalization, claiming a refund on excess tax is now quick and easy with no additional steps involved. Always file your ITR before the due date for timely processing of your returns and receive the refunds without any delay.
Click here to visit our personalized online advisor that gives you the financial expertise you need.
The information contained herein is generic in nature and is meant for educational purposes only. Nothing here is to be construed as an investment or financial or taxation advice nor to be considered as an invitation or solicitation or advertisement for any financial product. Readers are advised to exercise discretion and should seek independent professional advice prior to making any investment decision in relation to any financial product. Aditya Birla Capital Group is not liable for any decision arising out of the use of this information.
Disadvantages of Early Retirement - What Happens When You're Not Working?
Early retirement seems to be good, many people enjoy life without working especially with extra earnings. But they are not aware about the cons. Lets explore the disadvantages of retiring early to save your retirement life.
5 Benefits of Health Insurance that Makes it a Must Have Cover
Here are the 5 benefits of health insurance that makes it a must to cover
When Should You Withdraw Money from a Mutual Fund?
In case of a sudden change in fund strategy or an underperformance scheme for more than 3-4 years, it makes sense to withdraw money.
How To Apply For Personal Loan
Applying for a personal loan has become extremely easy these days. With the increase in applicants, banks and other financial institutions have made the process very simple.