You could be someone who is in their early 30s and would like to send your child abroad for higher education in the next 15 years. You could be someone who wants to travel the world after retiring or settle in a quiet hamlet away from the city.You might have an exhaustive list of goals- things to do and buy -from a new car to a second home.
Whether your goals are long, medium or short term, whether you are an aggressive or a conservative investor, whether you want to invest in a lump sum amount or a SIP (Systematic Investment Plan) mutual funds are the way to go.
What is the process of planning for your mutual funded goals?The first step is identifying the goal for which you wish to invest and the time you have to reach it. Once done, find the cost of the goal today. Add a reasonable amount of inflation to that, which will tell you the value of the target in the year you wish to accomplish that.
Decide the type of mutual fund with an established and trusted Asset Management Company (AMC), work backwards and calculate the amount you have to invest via SIP or lump sum or a combination of both to reach the goal.
A few solutions to match your goals:Retirement: Equity diversified mutual funds or sector funds could be the way to go.
Child’s education or marriage: Balanced, index or gold funds could be your best bet.
Saving for an international holiday, buying a car or saving for a home renovation: Short to medium term debt funds is your solution.
Things to consider while investing in mutual funds:
- One should ensure that there is sufficient diversification or spread of investments across the chosen mutual fund schemes. Be careful to not put too many or too fewer funds in one particular asset class.
- Make sure your AMC’s fund manager reduces your exposure to volatile assets and increases your exposure to more stable options as you grow older.
- Do a cost-benefit analysis to understand whether the fund management fee you pay to the Asset Management Company (AMC) is reasonable and in line with average market rates.
- Equities have the potential to deliver inflation-adjusted returns among all asset classes. Investing in equity mutual funds aids you in gaining inflation-indexed returns.
- ELSS investment helps you to save taxes. You can have tax benefits under the Income Tax Act 80C.
Explore Various Mutual Funds here.
The information contained herein is generic in nature and is meant for educational purposes only. Nothing here is to be construed as an investment or financial or taxation advice nor to be considered as an invitation or solicitation or advertisement for any financial product. Readers are advised to exercise discretion and should seek independent professional advice prior to making any investment decision in relation to any financial product. Aditya Birla Capital Group is not liable for any decision arising out of the use of this information.
Are Savings Enough for Retirement?
Financial discipline and life aspirations determine whether your savings are going to be enough for retirement.
5 Benefits of Health Insurance that Makes it a Must Have Cover
Here are the 5 benefits of health insurance that makes it a must to cover
When Should You Withdraw Money from a Mutual Fund?
In case of a sudden change in fund strategy or an underperformance scheme for more than 3-4 years, it makes sense to withdraw money.
How To Apply For Personal Loan
Applying for a personal loan has become extremely easy these days. With the increase in applicants, banks and other financial institutions have made the process very simple.