Taxpayers are required to use Challan 280, also known as ITNS 280 for paying their-
- Self-Assessment Tax
- Advance Tax
- Tax on Regular Assessment
- Tax on Distributed Income
- Tax on Distributed Profits
Pay Income Tax Online with Challan 280Here are the detailed steps you should follow-
- Visit the official TIN-NSDL website at https://www.tin-nsdl.com/
- Scroll over to the “Services” option and select “e-Payment: Pay Taxes Online”
- Click on the “Proceed” button under Challan No./ITNS 280
- You will be redirected to a form which you are required to fill within 30 minutes
- In the “Tax Applicable” column, check the option - “Income Tax (Other than Companies)”
- In the “Type of Payment” column, you can select the type of tax you are paying
- Select “Mode of Payment”, and enter other details like PAN, Assessment Year, Address, Name, City, Email Address, and Mobile Number
- Enter the Captcha Code and cross-check all the details before clicking on the “Proceed” button
- You will now be redirected to a new page where your tax details will be displayed
- Verify the details and tick the “I Agree” checkbox
- Click on “Submit to the Bank” button, and you will be redirected to the online payment gateway
- On successful payment, a “Tax Receipt Challan” will be displayed on your screen
Can Individuals Only Pay Income Tax Online?No, individuals can also pay income tax offline through demand draft or cheque at the nearest branch of a designated bank. Income tax Challan 280 is used for offline tax payments as well. It is only mandatory for taxpayers audited under Section 44AB and corporate taxpayers to pay their income tax online.
You can also check the status of your offline tax payment by visiting the OLTAS portal. Here are the steps for the same-
- Visit https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/oltas/index.html
- Click on “CIN Based View” button
- Enter the date on which you made the payment, serial number of your Challan 280, and BSR code of the bank branch
- Click on "Proceed", and the payment status will be displayed on the screen
Using Challan 280 to Pay Income Tax OnlineWhile the online tax payment process is fairly easy, you can always consult a Chartered Account or tax professional for guidance.
Also, in case of any errors or if you have submitted the wrong details, you have the option to contact the tax department directly. The contact details are available here https://www.tin-nsdl.com/contact-us.html.
Click here to visit our personalized online advisor that gives you the financial expertise you need.
The information contained herein is generic in nature and is meant for educational purposes only. Nothing here is to be construed as an investment or financial or taxation advice nor to be considered as an invitation or solicitation or advertisement for any financial product. Readers are advised to exercise discretion and should seek independent professional advice prior to making any investment decision in relation to any financial product. Aditya Birla Capital Group is not liable for any decision arising out of the use of this information.
Disadvantages of Early Retirement - What Happens When You're Not Working?
Early retirement seems to be good, many people enjoy life without working especially with extra earnings. But they are not aware about the cons. Lets explore the disadvantages of retiring early to save your retirement life.
5 Benefits of Health Insurance that Makes it a Must Have Cover
Here are the 5 benefits of health insurance that makes it a must to cover
When Should You Withdraw Money from a Mutual Fund?
In case of a sudden change in fund strategy or an underperformance scheme for more than 3-4 years, it makes sense to withdraw money.
How To Apply For Personal Loan
Applying for a personal loan has become extremely easy these days. With the increase in applicants, banks and other financial institutions have made the process very simple.