Fiscal prudence calls for investing as soon as you start earning. Higher risks yield higher returns and vice versa. However, an optimum return can be earned if invested wisely. Here are five ways you can get better at investing:

1) Spread your investment

A good rule of thumb is to invest 70% of your disposable income into equity funds and the rest 30% in debt funds. While high returns from equities compound your wealth, debt provides stability against market downturns. At the same time, it’s prudent to have some exposure to fixed-return instruments such as a bank fixed deposit that provides assured returns.

2) Do not indulge in any Get-Rich-Quick schemes

Many a time, you will find individuals marketing a scheme that will double or quadruple your investment in a small amount of time. Do not give them your time or money. Steer clear of such investment opportunities even if they show you proof of people having made huge amounts of money through it.

3) Take care of your taxes through investments

There are a lot of investments which can help you lower your tax liability. Take advantage of these instruments. Through investments in Equity Linked Savings Schemes (ELSS), you can lower your tax liability by Rs. 1.5 lakhs in a financial year.

4) Plan for the short and the long term

There are certain life events in the coming 2-3 years which you know of from beforehand and you must invest early to meet those short-term needs. However, retirement planning and general wealth creation are long-term commitments.

For addressing long-term goals, it’s prudent to invest in equities via systematic investment plan (SIP). When you receive a lump sum, such as a bonus or some arrear payment, use it to invest in an equity fund that has performed well across market cycles. The most important thing to do is to stay invested and not redeem or break any of these investments halfway.

5) Make provisions for emergencies

Life is uncertain and an emergency can strike anytime. Thus, it’s essential to be financially prepared for the same and set up a corpus for the same. You can do so by investing in liquid funds, which offer higher returns than a bank savings account and can be easily liquidated when required.

In conclusion

Investing calls for gauging your risk appetite, investment horizon and most importantly understanding where you are putting your money. Seek help of a professional if required.

Explore our list of mutual funds here.

DISCLAIMER

The information contained herein is generic in nature and is meant for educational purposes only. Nothing here is to be construed as an investment or financial or taxation advice nor to be considered as an invitation or solicitation or advertisement for any financial product. Readers are advised to exercise discretion and should seek independent professional advice prior to making any investment decision in relation to any financial product. Aditya Birla Capital Group is not liable for any decision arising out of the use of this information.



Trending Articles

Article Links

Equity Linked Savings Scheme (ELSS)

Types of Mutual Fund

What is Debt Fund

What is Mutual Fund

What is an Index Fund

Latest Articles

mutual-funds
mutual-funds

Should I shift my current mutual funds to Index Funds?

Read More
Posted on 05 March 2020
mutual-funds
mutual-funds

Planning to buy a mutual fund? Here are some of the best tips

Read More
Posted on 05 March 2020
mutual-funds
mutual-funds

Mutual Fund Monthly Income Plans - Risk and Returns, features, Taxation

Read More
Posted on 05 March 2020

Featured Articles

image abc-of-personal-money
abc-of-personal-money

Are Millennials Any Different When It Comes To Planning Financials?

Read More
Posted on 05 February 2020

Relevant Articles

image pension-funds
pension-funds

What is the PM-SYM Scheme?

Read More
Posted on 27 March 2020
image pension-funds
pension-funds

NPS vs PPF – Which Is A Better Option For Investing?

Read More
Posted on 27 March 2020
image pension-funds
pension-funds

How to Have a Monthly Income Throughout Life

Read More
Posted on 27 March 2020