An investment in the form of real estate is the biggest investment one can make, and, purchasing a house is a crucial decision which involves a lot of factors. In most cases, people do not have the complete funds to make the purchase and thus turn to banks and financial institutions for loans. A home loan does not, however, cover the entire cost of the property.

Only 70-80% of the total cost is covered by a home loan and the rest must be arranged in the form of down payment by the buyer. So, if you have been wondering whether a home loan can take care of the entire cost of buying a house, the answer is no, it won’t. This brings us to the next question – how do you know if you are eligible for a home loan?

In order to know your eligibility, you need to reach out to a bank or a financial institution and submit the list of necessary documents like your income slips, identity proof, employment letter based on which you will be assessed on your credit-worthiness.

If you have a good credit score which is anywhere upwards of 600, you are instantly eligible for a home loan. Sometimes, people with lesser scores can also avail a home loan under special circumstances and higher rates on interest.

Depending on your income and credit-worthiness, the bank will confirm the maximum amount of loan that can granted which is close to 80% in most cases. The rest 20% is called a ‘down payment’ which needs to be arranged by the buyer.

In addition to this, there is a cost involved in the registration of the house and stamp duty. Below is an example which will help you understand the overall cost involved in making a purchase –Imagine you’re buying a house in Chennai for INR 60 lakhs. Following will be the final cost involved in buying the house –

Purchase price of the property: INR 60 lakhs

Registration and Stamp Duty: INR 4.8 lakhs (Differs from state to state) + INR 60000 (1% of the total cost)

Cost of fixtures and fittings: INR 5 lakhs

Total cost involved: INR 70.4 lakhs

Finance provided by the bank: INR 56.3 lakhs (80% of the total cost)

Down payment: INR 70.4 lakhs – INR 56.3 lakhs = INR 13.7 lakhs

Learn more about your Home Loan Eligibility here.

DISCLAIMER

The information contained herein is generic in nature and is meant for educational purposes only. Nothing here is to be construed as an investment or financial or taxation advice nor to be considered as an invitation or solicitation or advertisement for any financial product. Readers are advised to exercise discretion and should seek independent professional advice prior to making any investment decision in relation to any financial product. Aditya Birla Capital Group is not liable for any decision arising out of the use of this information.



Trending Articles

Article Links

Flat Interest Rate

Home Loan Interest Rate

Home Loan Tax Benefit

What is Home Loan

What is Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana

Latest Articles

home-finance
home-finance

Why Was My Home Loan Application Rejected?

Read More
Posted on 27 March 2020
home-finance
home-finance

List Of Documents Required For Loan Against Property

Read More
Posted on 27 March 2020
home-finance
home-finance

Reverse Mortgage Loan: Meaning, Working And Benefits

Read More
Posted on 27 March 2020

Featured Articles

image abc-of-personal-money
abc-of-personal-money

Are Millennials Any Different When It Comes To Planning Financials?

Read More
Posted on 05 February 2020

Relevant Articles

image personal-finance
personal-finance

How to Consolidate Your Debt? 4 Easy Ways

Read More
Posted on 28 March 2020
image home-finance
home-finance

Why Was My Home Loan Application Rejected?

Read More
Posted on 27 March 2020
image home-finance
home-finance

List Of Documents Required For Loan Against Property

Read More
Posted on 27 March 2020