As we are all homebound and working from home, we often tend to neglect our health and lifestyle. While being swamped with work and continuously sitting at one place and working on the laptop, your posture is compromised. Mobility workout can help you strengthen your back, shoulders and hip flexors.
Here’s what you need to know:
- What is mobility?
- Benefits of mobility exercises
- 5 best mobility exercises
What is mobility?
Mobility training refers to the strength of your muscles and its ability to safely and effectively perform a range of movements, such as squatting, hinging, pulling and pushing without developing chronic injuries.
Your muscles grow and develop according to your regular habitual movement patterns. Muscles develop unevenly as some movements are performed more than others. Some become tight and short, while others become loose and long. The tighter muscles pull on the skeleton disproportionately, affecting the position of the joints. An offset joint within a socket wears unevenly over time, causing problems like Arthritis.
Benefits of mobility exercises
- Reduced risk of injury. If you face any restriction in moving a joint, then there is a higher risk of getting injured.
- An effective workout strategy. During mobility workout, blood is being moved to the surrounding tissues. Synovial fluid, which helps the joints glide freely, is carried into the working joints and lubricates them to perform an exercise.
- Provides freedom of movement. You will get a greater range of motion if your muscles and joints are flexible, increasing your strength.
- Improves posture. Constantly sitting can cause your hip flexors to shorten and your hamstrings to lengthen. This bad posture increases the risk of back pain and knee pain. Mobility exercises improve your posture and reduce lower back pain.
3 best mobility exercises
Our Summer Fitness Expert Ayesha Billimoria is a three-time national champion (2001–2003) in 200 metres. She has represented Maharashtra for 17 consecutive years and has held several national and state titles, along with being named the ‘Fastest Girl in India’ in her teens.
She has recommended 3 mobility exercises that will help you mobilise your spine, hamstrings and your hips. These exercises are especially for those who are working from home on their laptops while sitting on their couch or chairs. Enjoy Activ Living in Summer at home with these exercises:
1. Wall Press
This can be a go-to exercise if you have tight shoulders and a stiff spine. Press your arms against a wall and bend forward keeping your spine straight. This shoulder mobility exercise will work your lower back as well.
2. Forward Bending
This mobility exercise helps open up your hamstrings and can be performed every one hour between work. Put one leg forward and slightly bend your knee. Try to touch your toe and repeat the same on the other leg. This will stress your hamstrings and your lower back.
3. Pelvic Tilt
Keep your feet shoulder-width apart, extend your arms in front of you and tilt your pelvis to 12 o’clock to prevent lower back pain while working.
Mobility is key to any good movement. So, don’t look for excuses this summer while working from home during the COVID-19 pandemic. #ABHIKaro. Know more about fitness and nutrition on the Activ Living Blog.